Te Ipu Kōrero: Mauri Tū, Mauri Ora - Programmes for Students Yrs 1-8
“Kei te poi kē te kōrero. Ka whiua te poi, ka puta te kōrero;
ka whiua te poi, ka puta te kupu.”
Nā Tūhākia Keepa
(The Rythmn and Life of Poi, Ngāmoni Huata, 2000)
Te Ipu Kōrero is an exciting new 10-week oral language programme developed for use in Māori-medium classrooms. Designed to accelerate oral language achievement of students who are learning through te reo Māori, Te Ipu Kōrero:
- is based on second language acquisition theories of oral language development
- can be delivered in the classroom by classroom teachers
- is based on meeting the needs of ākonga who are not meeting achievement expectations
- identifies and values the existing language skills and leadership potential of each learner and sets goals based on those competencies
- incorporates the elements that impact positively on student achievement and accelerate learning.
Ākonga whose reo ā-waha (oral language) is hindering their learning.
Te Ipu Kōrero seeks to raise and accelerate student achievement by:
- strengthening teacher oral language competence and oral language pedagogy
- providing opportunities for ākonga to utilise all of their language and learning tools in their kete.
Ways of working
Te Ipu Kōrero is delivered in class by the classroom teacher/kaiako. While it is targetted at improving outcomes for specific students, the programme is designed to be implemented with all learners in a class as part of the regular classroom programme.
Teachers receive training in the pedagogy and use of the lessons, monitoring and assessment procedures.
The Haemata facilitator will support each kaiako with the implementation through regular meetings (online and/or face-to-face), in-school visits and the provision of monitoring data for each student.
Kaiako participate in three training hui - an induction prior to implementing Te Ipu Kōrero, a mid-point workshop and and a post-programme hui.
Kaiako from the following schools have already participated and contributed to Te Ipu Kōrero:
- Tākaro School, Palmerston North
- Te Kura o Waharoa, Waharoa
- Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o te Whare Tapere o Takitimu, Hastings
- Hato Hōhepa te Kāmura, Northland
- Ōtaki School, Ōtaki
- Te Pā o Rākaihautū, Christchurch
- Te Kura o Matapihi, Tauranga
- Te Kura Reo Rua o Maraenui, Napier
- Te Kura Māori o Porirua, Porirua
- Te Ara Whānui KKM o Ngā Kohanga Reo o Awakairangi, Lower Hutt
- Te KKM o te Ara Hou, Napier
- Te Kura Kaupapa Māori o Te Rito, Ōtaki
- Te Kura o Ngāti Hauā, Tauwhare
- Te Wharekura o Maniapoto, Te Kuiti